FLA Frees 82 Malian Soldiers Held Since April Attacks in Algeria-Mediated Release
Mali's army announced on August 14, 2026 that 82 soldiers held captive by armed groups since the April 25 nationwide attacks had been freed, in a release mediated by Algeria. The Tuareg-led Azawad Liberation Front (FLA) said it had released 'about 80' Malian soldiers captured between 2023 and 2026, describing the move as 'strictly humanitarian' via spokesperson Mohamed Elmaouloud Ramadane; Mali's army called it the result of 'rigorous planning and coordinated mobilization.' Mali's Ministry of Foreign Affairs credited Algerian mediation. The FLA said roughly 118 additional Malian soldiers remain in its custody. The release follows the April 25 JNIM-FLA coordinated offensive that hit Bamako's airport, Kati, and other sites and killed Mali's defense minister.
Media
Sources
- T2 Al Jazeera — 'Mali says 82 soldiers captured by armed groups have been freed' Major middle_eastern
- T2 Africanews — 'Mali frees 82 soldiers held by militants, pardons French embassy official' Major international
- T2 Washington Times (AFP) — 'Mali separatists release 82 soldiers, including some held since a major attack in April' Major western